Kent Kammermeyer Certified Wildlife Biologist recently retired from GA DNR Wildlife Resources
Division is assisting Cooper Seed Company with seed mixtures, planting charts, technical advice and other wildlife
food plot information. He is a nationally recognized deer and food plot expert with over 30 years
experience. Visit his website at www.deerclovers.com.
Biographical Sketch 2007
- Graduated with B.S. degree in wildlife management from University of Connecticut in 1972.
- Received M.S. in wildlife biology from University of Georgia (UGA) in 1975.
- Recipient of Stoddard – Sutton Wildlife Conservation Award (1977) for outstanding achievement as a student at UGA.
- Instrumental in hands on restoration of white-tailed deer (1972-76), wild turkey (1977-1985) and Canada goose (1978-1988) in Northeastern Georgia (NE GA).
- Instrumental in installing hard mast surveys in NE GA in 1977 that continue annually to present (2004).
- Instrumental in establishing long term either sex deer hunting (despite significant opposition) in the Southern Appalachian Mountains of NE GA.
- Developed Environmental Assessment (EA) allowing GA WRD to spray herbicides (glyphosate and sethoxydim) on USFS properties on 500 acres within 8 state operated WMAs to facilitate food plot management. USFS is still unable to do this on their own plots because of the complexity and tedious nature of the EA and public comment period.
- Developed prototype July boat survey for Canada geese on Lake Lanier, now in use statewide.
- Recipient of Management Wildlife Biologist of the Year Award in 1983 for outstanding achievement in wildlife management from GA DNR.
- Worked for Georgia DNR Wildlife Resources Division for 29 years, most of it as a Senior Wildlife Biologist.
- Chairman of GA White-tailed Deer Committee since its inception over 25 years ago. Three White-tailed Deer Plans developed by committee in this time period.
- As chairman, led efforts to publish booklet Deer Herd Management for Georgia Hunters now in its 4th revision and reprinting in 2004.
- As chairman, led efforts to publish booklet Feral Hogs in Georgia: Disease, Damage & Control in 2003.
- Compiled, analyzed, modeled deer harvest data for 57 WMAs (7,000 deer annually) in Georgia. Project ongoing for 27 years including annual PR reports and comprehensive Final Reports at 3-year intervals.
- Developed prototype deer population model utilizing a combination of Downing’s Reconstruction (1980) and Lang and Wood (1976) now in use by several Southeastern states.
- Directly supervised 8 Wildlife Technicians and 6 WMAs totaling 150,000 acres in Northeastern GA.
- Published over 50 scientific papers and over 250 popular articles mostly on deer including chapter 10 (Habitat Management and Supplemental Feeding) in Quality Whitetails book by Miller and Marchinton (see attached Scientific Publications list).
- Author of 25 abstracts published at SEDSG meetings including 18 as senior author.
- Attended 27 consecutive SEDSG meetings from 1977-2003.
- Since 1999, published over 70 Plant Species Profiles columns for Quality Whitetails magazine, two per issue in every issue.
- Developed two chapters (Baiting and Supplemental Feeding) for REPORT ON DEER MANAGEMENT ISSUES FRO THE SOUTHEAST by The Wildlife Society, Southeast Section Deer Committee (2001).
- Developed perennial clover food plot mixtures for NE GA WMAs now in use nationwide for deer and turkeys.
- Published abstracts and presented papers on Quality Deer Management on public and private lands pointing out reasons for both successes and/or failures.
- Received the Southeastern Director’s award “Wildlife Biologist of the Year” for the year 2000. First ever GA recipient.
- Received the “Best Game Paper” award from the Southeastern Section of The Wildlife Society at the 1975 and the 2000 Southeastern Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies Conference.
- Received the 2005 Deer Management Career Achievement Award for Outstanding Contributions to White-tailed Deer Management in the Southeastern United States from The Deer Committee of the Southeastern Section of the Wildlife Society. Of 9 total recipients, first state biologist to ever receive this award (6 others were university professors).
- Senior Technical Advisor for the Quality Deer Management Association (QDMA) from 7/05-10/06.
- Senior Editor and Author for “Quality Food Plots, Your Guide to Better Deer and Better Deer Hunting” published by QDMA and available at www.qdma.com.
- I am currently doing full time wildlife consulting mostly on deer and deer food plots but also on turkeys and small game. See www.deerclovers.com and www.southernheritageland.com.
is launching a photo album to allow you to share your planting
experiences with fellow hunters. We are searching for pictures of
your food plots that were planted with seeds purchased from Cooper
Seeds, with photos of both the field and close-ups.
To send us your photos, please visit our photo submission page.
Check with your local county extension agent and/or Department of Natural Resources for suitable planting dates and other vital information.
Some of the seed varieties we sell have been treated, so please wash your hands after handling.
New location same trusted service!
Order Line: 1-877-463-6697
605 Patrick Industrial Dr Ste B
Winder, GA 30680
(678) 425-2304 | Fax: (678) 425-0541 | Order Line: 877-463-6697